Author/minister Michael Coren of the Anglican Church of Canada wrote an opinion piece for The Globe and Mail on July 7 entitled “Same-sex marriage is, slowly, finding acceptance in churches around the world.” However, when you read his article, it seems to be just clickbait. The churches he highlights as accepting the false concept of gay “marriage” are liberal/progressive churches which tend to question the truths found in the Bible. Coren also proceeds to admit, “There are a handful of evangelical churches that will marry gay couples, but most not only refuse to perform the service but are often deeply resistant, even homophobic, in their theology.” Of course, by “homophobic” he most likely means those who refuse to kowtow to accepting homosexuality and the demands of the gay rights movement as morally valid.
To expand on his lies, Coren then proceeds to mischaracterize and twist what the Bible actually states. He conjures up several points often used by the gay rights crowd to argue that the Bible never condemns the sexual behavior of sodomites and lesbians. “Homosexuality is seldom mentioned in the Bible, and the handful of critical verses from the Old Testament are usually quoted without the contextualization that they demand,” states Coren as he begins to share his lies.
He then goes on to say, “The Genesis story of Sodom, for example, simply isn’t a sexual morality tale: Lot … offers the mob his two virgin daughters in place of his male guest! Scripture itself, in Ezekiel, explains: ‘This was the guilt of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride, excess of food, and prosperous ease, but did not aid the poor and needy. They were haughty, and did abominable things before me.'” As if that isn’t enough, Coren then makes these further arguments:
- Homosexuality in the Bible only addresses men and not lesbianism.
- The concerns were only about procreation to “preserve the tribe” and wasn’t condemning committed, loving same-sex relationships.
- The mention of homosexuality was only linked to prohibitions that no longer apply like eating the wrong foods or having sex with a woman when she was on her period.
- If we accept everything the Old Testament teaches, then we have to accept genocide, slavery, and parents selling their children into bondage.
- Jesus never says anything about homosexuality.
- Paul only condemned straight men exploiting boys for heathen ceremonies.
This fake minister not only reveals his contempt for God’s word, but shows he doesn’t really know the Bible or is intentionally and deceptively misstating what it says. Homosexuality is actually mentioned more than a handful of times in both the Old and New Testaments. The Bible is clearly condemning the sexual acts. That’s why Lot offered his daughters even when he shouldn’t have. He was obviously weighing what he thought would be a lesser evil–to have the rapists “know” sexually his daughters or to “know” sexually the two male visitors/angels.
In the Ezekiel passage, among Sodom’s sins was that they “committed abomination before me” (Ezekiel 16:50). Homosexuality is called an abomination in Leviticus 18:22 when it’s mentioned in the context of other sexual sins like bestiality, which Coren seems to have overlooked. But to address Coren’s other deceptions point-by-point, here’s what is actually in the Bible:
- Lesbianism is condemned alongside sodomy in Romans 1:26-27.
- If the focus in the Bible was only about procreation and tribe preservation, then we wouldn’t have Leviticus 18:22, Leviticus 20:13, and the use of the sexual term “know” pertaining to men forcing sex on other men in Genesis 19 and Judges 19.
- If homosexuality was only linked to prohibitions that no longer apply like directives concerning food, then Leviticus 18:22 and 20:13 wouldn’t appear in the context of sexual sins. Nor would the same context of sexual sins be repeated by Paul in 1 Corinthians 5-6 where Paul condemns incest and homosexuality just like the Leviticus passages do.
- The Bible never condones genocide, slavery, or parents selling their children into bondage. These are lies made up by Bible-haters and God-haters.
- Jesus condemned any and all sex outside of marriage, including homosexuality, when he explained God-ordained/created marriage in Matthew 19:4-6 as being between one biological man and one biological woman.
- Paul condemned all male/male sexual relations in 1 Corinthians 6:9-10; Ephesians 5:5; 1 Timothy 1:9-10 and Hebrews 13:4 when he used terms like “effeminate”, “abusers of themselves with mankind”, “whoremongers”, or “defilers of themselves with mankind” to denote any and all types of male sodomy. John in Revelation 21:8 and 22:15 also said “whoremongers” will not be in God’s kingdom.
Therefore, anyone who knows the Bible can see homosexuality is given the negative treatment it deserves in way more than a “handful” of passages, contrary to Coren’s false beliefs. Same-sex relationships will never be considered marriage in the eyes of our God who created it. People like Coren who believe otherwise (even if they’re in the church) will find themselves on the wrong side of history as well as the wrong side of God’s judgment.
Source: Michael Coren, Same-sex marriage is, slowly, finding acceptance in churches around the world, The Globe and Mail, July 7, 2021.