“I took you in when no one else wanted you and raised you to be royalty, but you chose to become a whore instead.” That’s the basic message God prophesies about Israel and Judah in Ezekiel 16 and 23. The Lord through the prophet Ezekiel tells the story about the glorious blessings those nations had showered on them and how they traded those blessings into ways to sell themselves out to neighboring nations along with the negative impacts that resulted.
When I read these passages about Israel and Judah, it reminds me of how nations today who were once predominated by the gospel of Jesus Christ have now played the whore to curry favor with the false gods of globalism. As Israel and Judah grew in prosperity, thanks to the Lord, they began to take their eyes off him and began setting up special agreements with pagan nations like Egypt, Assyria, Babylon, and the Sabeans (Arabians), according to Ezekiel.
Israel and Judah started off by lusting after “the Assyrians her neighbours, Which were clothed with blue, captains and rulers, all of them desirable young men, horsemen riding upon horses. Thus she committed her whoredoms with them, with all them that were the chosen men of Assyria, and with all on whom she doted…” (Ezekiel 23:5-7). They then embraced the false religious systems of the Assyrians.
Once they got a taste of what they falsely believed were the benefits of those trade agreements and false gods, they lusted after agreements with more pagan nations. That’s how it is when a person or nation becomes a whore. One lover is never enough. One compromise is never enough. Israel and Judah assumed that all would turn out well in the end with their spiritual whoredom, but it only resulted in the following:
- Lewd behavior: Spiritual whoredom and adultery brought literal whoredom and adultery with the spread of temple prostitutes and fornicators of all kinds.
- Hatred and betrayal: The nations who they embraced as lovers and told their secrets to turned on them by stealing their goods (including their labor) and killing their citizens (Ezekiel 23:10, 22, 28-29).
- Drunkenness: Paganism in their day included the use of mind-altering substances through shamanism and sorcery and the abuse of alcohol for pagan feasts, just as it does today, so God made them “drunk” with his punishment (Ezekiel 23:33).
- Child sacrifice: Children are a “heritage of the Lord” and “his reward” (Psalm 127:3), but Israel and Judah caused their sons to pass through the fire for selfish reasons in appeasing false gods (Ezekiel 23:37). The equivalent of that today is abortion, which is leading to the idea it’s okay to kill kids up to 5 years old.
- Spiritual hypocrisy: The Lord rebuked them for coming to his temple right after they, without remorse, violated his laws by murdering their own children through the fire. Today we have people who attend church after having abortions they aren’t sorry for.
Because of all of these things, God allowed the destruction of their nations. All the unrest we see today throughout the Middle East, Europe, and in certain incidences in North America where mass murders have occurred is because somewhere along the way nations who have been blessed with the gospel have compromised and are compromising with the enemies of the gospel. They have gone so far as to whore themselves out and have promoted the five things I listed above, only to have their “lovers” betray them. It is so pervasive now in society that even churches and seminaries are whoring themselves out as well. What’s even more concerning is when people who try to counteract the whoredoms (such as those who voted for Brexit, President Trump, and against Italy’s pro-EU referendum) are lambasted by those who deny the obvious negative effects of such whoredoms.