“Bad men cannot make good citizens. It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains. A vitiated state of morals, a corrupted public conscience, is incompatible with freedom. No free government, or the blessings of liberty, can be preserved to any people but by a firm adherence to justice, moderation, temperance, frugality, and virtue; and by a frequent recurrence to fundamental principles.”— Patrick Henry
American statesman and Founding Father Patrick Henry’s words hold true in any generation because they are words based on what is taught in the Bible. Why should Christianity be considered important to individuals and nations? It is the only body of doctrine that correctly teaches man how to have a relationship with his Creator so he can know how to relate properly with his fellow man.
“Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty,” 2 Cor. 3:17. This liberty is brought about in the spirit of any saved individual in their reverence for God and is then displayed outwardly in how they conduct themselves in their communities. The by-products of this liberty when spread among humanity brings forth every good thing mentioned by Patrick Henry in his quote above. Therefore, by default we know from 2 Cor. 3:17 and elsewhere in scripture that wherever the Spirit of the Lord’s influence is nullified, there is no genuine liberty. Then justice, moderation, temperance, frugality, and virtue eventually get tossed out also.
If you take a stroll through the Old Testament prophets, you will find that as soon as the people rejected the true and living God, the first things to go were their God-given freedoms. They enslaved their peers indefinitely when God’s system of servanthood was meant to be temporary, they stole from each other, deceived each other for selfish gain, sacrificed their children in fires to other gods, sold their children into prostitution and to buy prostitutes, and a whole host of other atrocities. So God punished Israel with captivity in foreign lands.
Fast forward to today and the same types of things happen wherever the liberty that comes by the Spirit of the Lord is resisted. Human trafficking abounds, child rape and incest frequently occur, abuse and rape of women without legal recourse takes place, religious freedoms are threatened, and other human rights violations. The majority of Western Europe, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and the US once held strongly to the fundamental principle of liberty, which is why they were able to correct their flaws or at least attempt to.
Now God is slowly being pushed out of individual lives with the ripple effect of him being slowly pushed out of society. And his liberties are being pushed out with him to the point that we can see the fulfillment of Peter’s warnings in 2 Peter 2:12-19 when he talked about those who encourage others to accept their various sins–“While they promise them liberty, they themselves are the servants of corruption: for of whom a man is overcome, of the same is he brought in bondage,” (2 Peter 2:19). They claim their ungodliness brings freedom when it brings bondage.
True freedom that comes with fearing God must always be the number one concern–not terrorism or the economy. When it’s not, here’s what happens–
- Globalists will stir up situations that spawn terrorist acts to stir up fear to get people to give up their freedoms to feel safe.
- Criminals will continue to commit violent crimes while law abiding citizens will be told they should give up the freedom to protect themselves with a weapon.
- People without virtue or temperance (think gays, other fornicators, abortionists) will promote life-threatening, disease-causing practices while those who hold to virtue and temperance will be told to give up their freedoms of religion, speech, and conscience if they oppose the non-virtuous.
- Terrorists will intentionally slip through the bureaucratic cracks to carry out terrorism, then law-abiding citizens will be told that new laws must be passed (e.g. CISA) to snoop on their communications and that they must not exercise the freedom of speech to talk about the people group prone to terrorism.
- Hackers will continue to hack sensitive data electronically while law-abiding citizens will be told their Internet access and online interactions must be government-controlled.
Whenever liberty is made the target, those who use liberty wisely and responsibly always become the hated ones as the evil ones are embraced. That’s part of the reason Jesus was crucified and Barabbas the murderer was freed.