Belief in God can help you live a happier and healthier life, according to medical research compiled from about 1500 studies done at reputable hospitals and universities across the U.S. But we Bible believers have known this for years because we know God is true to his word and many of us have witnessed it firsthand.
Dr. Harold Koenig of Duke University recently told Newsmax that “Studies have shown prayer can prevent people from getting sick — and when they do get sick, prayer can help them get better faster.” Koenig also said that these studies not only showed believers had good physical health, but also good mental health.
From those 1500 studies, 125 narrowed their focus to finding connections between regular worship and health. 85 of them revealed regular churchgoers live longer. Even if they didn’t regularly attend church, they still lived longer than the average atheist, according to one of the studies done for the U.S. Journal of Gerontology. It used 4000 older adults as subjects.
Plenty of other interesting findings also surfaced, such as:
- Southern Medical Journal published a study that showed patients with audio and visual challenges had substantial improvement when they prayed.
- The University of Texas found in 2006 that the more often you attend church, the longer you live. Specifically, regular church attendance resulted in seven more years of life compared to those who never go to church.
- Believers bounce back from breast cancer faster.
- Cardiac patients who were prayed for by strangers had fewer complications and less drug treatment than those who weren’t prayed for.
- Believers with rheumatoid arthritis have more positive outcomes.
Former atheist Tom Knox, who is a writer and researcher, looked at much of this evidence and says, “Atheists can sneer at faith all they like, but they can’t assume science is on their side.”
When all has been said and done concerning this, we Christians know that all we have to do is follow God by faith because he has already proven his word is bond. We are called to act on what he commands us and he will fulfill his promises. The science can just catch up with us later.
14 Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:
15 And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him. James 5
Source: NewsMax Health Staff, Healing Power of Prayer Undeniable, According to 1,500 Medical Studies, CharismaNews.com, April 6, 2015.
Harry A. Gaylord