I went to see the sci-fi movie “Ender’s Game” today and found it interesting, not necessarily because of the main plot (which was good), but because of the many subtexts and underlying implications it revealed. The movie is based on the book of the same name by author Orson Scott Card, a Mormon who has been under fire for his views against the sham called same-sex “marriage.”
I’ve never read the book, but here are some things that some sci-fi enthusiasts envision for the future of mankind in these end times as displayed in the subtext of the movie:
1) Brain implants will be the norm to monitor those who are under the authority of government. This is how the military decided which kids would be helpful in their war against the aliens in the movie and how some of them interfaced with their electronics.
2) Most governments will institute population controls similar to China’s one child policy. The parents of Ender Wiggin, the main character and hero, had to get special permission from the government to get pregnant with and birth him, their third and final child, hence his name “Ender.”
3) Governments will have more authority over kids than their parents. When Ender was sent home from the academy to his parents and then recruited by Colonel Graff and Major Anderson for battle school, his parents opposed the idea, but Colonel Graff told them he was taking the boy anyway and that they had no authority to stop him.
4) The government will determine if and to what degree any individual has privacy. Ender pleaded several times in the movie for restoration of his privacy.
5) Preemptive wars against enemies are necessary to prevent any future wars and institute lasting peace. This is the mindset of Colonel Graff and why he chose Ender.
The book of Revelation predicted the embracing of the type of restrictive controls and manipulations shown in the movie. For example, Revelation 13:12 says the world’s population will be called upon by the false prophet to worship the beast (Antichrist) as he hoodwinks them with his lying signs and wonders, which will probably include technological wonders. Revelation 13:17 predicts that this false prophet will also make it mandatory for everyone in the world to take the mark of the beast in order to participate in commerce or trade. This implies privacy will be violated and the population will be strictly controlled as they willingly give up their rights.
Preemptive wars will also be the way of the Antichrist. Daniel 11:21-45 tells how the Antichrist will establish peace agreements to hide the fact he really loves war. Revelation 11:7, 13:4, and 19:19 all say war will be his modus operandi. Those who are preparing for his arrival will also use wars as a means of ushering him into power.
Nevertheless, all of the efforts of the coming Antichrist and the sinful humans who want him to come will lead to their defeat because “[t]here are many devices in a man’s heart; nevertheless the counsel of the Lord, that shall stand,” Proverbs 19:21. A relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ is the only thing that brings genuine freedom from our sinful aspirations. The more we attempt to free ourselves by our own power from the things we believe are holding us back, the deeper into spiritual slavery we sink and the more hurtful we become to others. Only the Creator knows and can reveal as well as supply what we really need.
Harry A. Gaylord