As I’ve stated before in my writings, it is all too often assumed that atheists are truthful people. When atheists debate or question or mock Christianity, many people listening to them have this tendency to automatically assume that since it came from the mouth of an atheist, then they must have a valid point because they assume the atheist or agnostic is neutral. This couldn’t be further from the truth. When it comes to religious and moral issues and how they may relate to science or life in general, everyone has a bias or agenda, including the atheists and agnostics.
I know atheists and agnostics aren’t truthful based on what the Bible says. The Bible has shown itself to be trustworthy and sound in it’s historical facts, scientific facts, and spiritual facts. So when we are told in Romans 1:19-21 that God has placed the knowledge of his existence all around us and inside all of us, then the fact that a person calls themselves an atheist or agnostic lets us know they are lying to themselves. Why? Based on this scripture in Romans 1, there is no such thing as an atheist or agnostic.
This is the reason Psalm 14:1 says, “The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.” If a person has built-in knowledge that God exists, yet they deny it and swear up and down it can’t be true, then they really are a fool. Denying God’s existence is like denying one’s own conscience. Oddly enough, that’s exactly what people are doing in our times of growing immorality. I refer again to Romans 1, which is like a primer on not only atheist and agnostic views, but on all sin.
Romans 1 tells us why the atheist and agnostic choose not to believe in God and question his existence:
- They prefer to exchange God’s perfect standards for corrupt images they conjure up in their own minds of how a god should be (v. 23).
- God, being the gentleman that he is, allows them the free will to think and do the dishonorable things that contribute to their wicked ways (v. 24)
- They would rather exchange God’s truth for men’s lies (v. 25)
- Atheists and agnostics hold fast to human lies because they would rather worship the creature (themselves) instead of the Creator (v. 25)
- Since they told God to get lost, he backed off and they went after every ungodly thing imaginable to please themselves, exalt themselves, and to take pleasure in others who do the wicked things that they enjoy (vv. 26-32). They question God’s existence because they think this gives them the freedom to do as they please and to deny that judgment is coming.
Refusing to retain God in their knowledge leads them to foolishness. If you read Proverbs, you’ll find that the atheist and agnostic has several character traits of the fool in many places where “fool” or “foolish” is mentioned. Here’s a sample:
- The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction (Proverbs 1:7). The universe screams intelligent design by an extremely powerful Being who is outside of space, matter, and time–the system of created things, but they despise this wisdom and it takes them down the path of falsehoods like macroevolution.
- He that hideth hatred with lying lips, and he that uttereth a slander, is a fool (Proverbs 10:18). They pretend not to hate people who aren’t as “enlightened” as they are, and they love to slander God and his people.
- The way of a fool is right in his own eyes: but he that hearkeneth unto counsel is wise (Proverbs 12:15).
- …it is abomination to fools to depart from evil (Proverbs 13:19). They love their sin and think it’s utterly hateful for them to turn from it.
- A wise man feareth, and departeth from evil: but the fool rageth, and is confident (Proverbs 14:16). The atheist and agnostic is confident in their wickedness and fiercely determined to stick with it.
These are the reasons why they need our loving prayers. Only God can soften their hearts.
Harry A. Gaylord