Science, or systematized knowledge, is often assumed to be at odds with faith and more specifically at odds with the Bible and the God of the Bible. This is the false assumption that evolutionary scientists have promoted for years with the hope of making the scientific methods and principles of their opponents appear as if they lack authenticity so they themselves can look more scholarly in addition to knock off any competition they would have in acquiring funds they covet for their research. However, the very God who created the universe–the God that many scientists make every attempt to deny–is the very God that in creating the universe by default established the very existence of science and the principles that uphold it.
Centuries before many scientific discoveries came to light, the Bible records many scientific accuracies that were revealed to his people in ancient times that have served to verify what holy men wrote under the power of the omniscient God ruling our universe. Not only do we find accuracy of scientific principles, modern science has also discovered the accuracy of what was recorded about various cultures that surrounded God’s people. The Bible may not be a science book in the modern understanding of what science is, but under the true definition of science–which is the state of knowing and, as I mentioned earlier, systematized knowledge–the Bible does indeed render itself as a science book since God has established his word so that we can be in the state of knowing him, so that we can be in the state of knowing what he expects from us, and so that we can be in the state of knowing how he operates. God’s system of knowledge is based on faith and in that sense the Bible is a book of faith.
Here are a few examples from science that have verified what God revealed through his secretaries, the writers of the scriptures, and the accuracy of what they wrote to describe the times in which they lived:
1. Excavations at Boghaz-Keui (Turkey) revealing Hittite monuments: Archaeological excavations were done at this site 90 miles east of Ankara in 1906 by Hugo Winkler, a professor from Berlin. Boghaz-Keui turned out to be a capital city of the Hittite people. Clay tablets that were found had inscriptions in the Hittite language which explained the vastness of the Hittite empire and the culture of its people. Hittites are mentioned often in the Old Testament as neighbors, friends, and sometimes adversaries of God’s people. Before this excavation was discovered, critics of the scriptures thought the existence of these people was a myth.
2. Clay tablets of Ras Shamra: In Ras Shamra, Syria (known as Ugarit in earlier times), clay tablets were unearthed that revealed in detail the pantheon of the Canaanites and the normal routines of their culture. Claude F. Schaffer discovered the tablets in 1929 and made digs until 1937. The excavations were suspended because of World War II, but continued in 1948. These tablets discussed each Canaanite god, what they represented, and the story of their origins. They also recorded the extreme violence, murders, and unfettered sexual perversions practiced by the Canaanites in honor of their gods. Canaanite civilization was very hedonistic, according to what was recorded on the tablets, and the tablets give great credence to what was stated in the Bible about them. It is easy to understand why God wanted Israel to annihilate them and modern critics of this policy have no standing for their defense of the “poor, innocent Canaanites.”
3. Spherical shape of Earth: Plenty of mankind’s ancient tales about the Earth promoted the idea that the Earth was flat and that it was possible to fall over the edge. This idea was promoted by Hindu, Buddhist, and Islamic teachings until explorers started travelling the world in the 15th and 16th centuries. But thousands of years before their explorations, Solomon and Isaiah spoke of a circular Earth through God’s revelation:
When he prepared the heavens, I was there: when he set a compass [circle, circuit] upon the face of the depth: Proverbs 8:27
It is he [God] that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers… Isaiah 40:22
4. Expansion of the universe: Modern science has discovered that our universe is expanding. But God showed this to the prophet Isaiah ca. 690 B.C.:
It is he [God]…that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in: Isaiah 40:22
I [God] have made the earth, and created man upon it: I, even my hands, have stretched out the heavens, and all their host have I commanded. Isaiah 45:12
God made it clear he is the one who spreads and stretches the heavens, our universe.
5. Unlimited stars in the universe: Before Galileo, a Christian, invented the telescope in 1608, several men of science from Ptolemy to Kepler gave an exact amount of stars in the sky. After Galileo, through his God-given wisdom and knowledge, built his telescope, mankind found out the numbers of stars was much greater. Today astronomers estimate the number is in the hundreds of billions, but that is only a guesstimate. Science has now caught up with what God told Jeremiah ca. 587 B.C.:
…the host of heaven cannot be numbered, neither the sand of the sea measured… Jeremiah 33:22
6. Mountain ranges in the oceans: The 20th century witnessed advances in technology that established measurement devices and machines to measure and explore the depths of the oceans. Using these technologies, scientists discovered mountain ranges and deep trenches in the depths of the sea, just like God revealed to his people hundreds of years before he came to Earth as Jesus Christ:
And the channels [ravines, valleys] of the sea appeared, the foundations of the world were discovered, at the rebuking of the LORD, at the blast of the breath of his nostrils. 2 Samuel 22:16 (ca. 980 B.C.)
I went down to the bottoms of the mountains; the earth with her bars was about me for ever… Jonah 2:6 (ca. 750 B.C.) when the prophet was swallowed by the whale.
7. The Earth suspended in space: Ancient myths and legends reveal the many mistaken ideas that mankind invented to explain what was holding the Earth up, from Atlas to turtles. With advances in astronomy in the 1400s, the invisible force called gravity was discovered. Many centuries before this force was discovered by science and named, God revealed it to Job, who pre-dates 2000 B.C.:
He stretcheth out the north over the empty place, and hangeth the earth upon nothing. Job 26:7
8. In the 1840s, Matthew Maury, a U.S. Navy officer, became the first who discovered and mapped out ocean currents. He had fallen ill and asked one of his daughters to read the Bible to him. She read Psalm 8:8, “The fowl of the air, and the fish of the sea, and whatsoever passeth through the paths of the seas.” He decided that when he recovered from his sickness, he would make it a point to find those “paths of the seas,” knowing that God’s word revealed scientific truths.
I could go on and on about the Bible’s scientific accuracies, such as it’s mention of ocean currents, the water cycle, wind currents, and more, but I don’t have the time right now. My life is requiring me to get some other things done now, but you get the point. The arguments that the Bible is anti-science, anti-scientific, and requires blind faith just aren’t true. It’s when a person steps out on faith in God that God reveals such truths that serve to strengthen a person’s faith in God. A relationship with God is for people who reason and Christianity is a thinking-man’s religion.