The United States is truly a nation at a crossroads, as has been stated so many times in recent years. But, of course, we have been at a crossroads several times in the past when it came to the establishment of this country, slavery, the Civil War, the first two World Wars, the Vietnam War, and the Civil Rights Movement. The U.S. made it through all of those by God’s grace. Our country needs lots of prayer now just as much as it has in the past and I don’t mean just any prayers to just any god, but prayers to the one true God, Jehovah.
“I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men; For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty. For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour; Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.” 1 Timothy 2:1-4
Here are five reasons why the U.S. needs prayer:
5. The majority of people in this country don’t know Jesus Christ. America has a reputation of being a Christian nation, but nothing could be further from the truth. We have the most influence around the world and most of that influence promotes ungodly ideas, especially when people from our corporations go to other countries to work and trade. Corporate workers and American tourists have a tendency to take their sinful habits with them such as the demand for pornography, prostitution, greed, and child sexual abuse.
4. Children are not loved like they should be in the U.S. Instead of seeing children as a blessing from God, we all too often see them as burdens. All one has to do is look at how many millions of babies are murdered each year before they’re born in this country and look at the reasons why young ladies kill them. It is rarely due to health concerns. Then we have parents who don’t mind exposing their children to harmful things like drugs and alcohol or illicit sexual relationships where the parents have several sex partners even if they’re married. I watched Bill O’Reilly tonight talk about the San Diego Padres’ game where they had Kids’ Day and Gay Day on the same day. Many parents were upset, but there were also many parents who didn’t mind their kids being exposed to homosexuality and felt their children should be open to “diversity.”
3. Other nations would love to see the U.S. fall. In some instances, it’s because they have the false impression we are a Christian nation and they hate Christianity. In other instances it’s because we support Israel and they hate Israel without justification. Personally, I believe that’s one of the reasons America has not received the full wrath of God. We also have the Vatican working against us behind the scenes because they hate constitutional republics and would rather have governments worldwide force their citizens to be papists. But there are cases where the U.S. has held to policies that are immoral and caused harm needlessly to other countries as was recently exposed by some of the illegal actions the CIA has taken abroad. Nevertheless, our country has been spreading the gospel worldwide and still has some worth for that reason.
2. Our churches are becoming more apostate and heretical. Too many churchgoers have become like the live frog in the kettle where the heat was slowly turned up until he was cooked to death. False doctrines have crept into churches to the point where the people don’t believe in the inerrancy of the Bible and think that there are several ways to get to God. The lines between so-called “Christians” and heathens are becoming more and more blurred. I would even go so far to say that a lot of people in American churches who call themselves Christians really aren’t based on the evil fruit that they’re bearing in their lives.
1. Our government leaders lack wisdom and morality. We have several states who can’t agree on budgets because governors and legislators want taxpayer funds to be used for their own pet projects. We have a President who wants us to merge with Canada and Mexico and is willing to sell us out to continue or establish unfair trading practices for that purpose. He’s also too stubborn to admit his mistakes or listen to advice that doesn’t agree with his policies, and bends over backwards to keep his administration operations secret by snubbing his nose at Freedom of Information requests or valid subpoenas while at the same time expecting that the lives of private citizens should be open to his snooping under the PATRIOT Act. Then we have a Congress who can’t seem to come up with a way to resolve the healthcare problems or immigration problems yet at the same time wants to pass a Hate Crimes Bill that threatens the freedom of speech of Christians or anyone else who wants to speak out against the sin of homosexuality.
Yes, America truly needs our prayers.
“At what instant I shall speak concerning a nation, and concerning a kingdom, to pluck up, and to pull down, and to destroy it; If that nation, against whom I have pronounced, turn from their evil, I will repent of the evil that I thought to do unto them. And at what instant I shall speak concerning a nation, and concerning a kingdom, to build and to plant it; If it do evil in my sight, that it obey not my voice, then I will repent of the good, wherewith I said I would benefit them.” Jeremiah 18:7-10
“And Jonah began to enter into the city [Nineveh] a day’s journey, and he cried, and said, Yet forty days, and Nineveh shall be overthrown.
So the people of Nineveh believed God, and proclaimed a fast, and put on sackcloth, from the greatest of them even to the least of them. For word came unto the king of Nineveh, and he arose from his throne, and he laid his robe from him, and covered him with sackcloth, and sat in ashes. And he caused it to be proclaimed and published through Nineveh by the decree of the king and his nobles, saying, Let neither man nor beast, herd nor flock, taste any thing: let them not feed, nor drink water: But let man and beast be covered with sackcloth, and cry mightily unto God: yea, let them turn every one from his evil way, and from the violence that is in their hands. Who can tell if God will turn and repent, and turn away from his fierce anger, that we perish not?
And God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them; and he did it not.” Jonah 3:4-10