Sigmund Freud has had a very influential affect on our society, making terms like repressed memories and ego household words. Nevertheless, his development of theories for psychoanalysis are based on his personal system of beliefs. I would go so far as to say that his system of ideas, which are the basis for modern psychology, is actually a religion. Here are some of the doctrines his religion teaches contrasted to the principles in the Bible:
- Religion (especially Christianity) is full of fairy tales conjured up by men, according to Freud in his book The Future of an Illusion in which he singled out Christianity as the object of his disdain.
- The Bible is the word of God, not the word of men according to 1 Thessalonians 2:13. God has always backed his truthful word with infallible proofs which are obvious if a person genuinely seeks him.
- Freud thought Christianity’s doctrines lack authentication.
- Matthew Maury, the father of oceanography, discovered warm and cold currents in oceans based on his belief in Psalm 8:8 that talks about paths in the sea. There have also been many other statements in the Bible verified by science. When a person has faith, God authenticates.
- Influence of religion (Christianity) on man is a psychological problem, according to Freud.
- Salvation through Jesus Christ is the solution to man’s problems because it supplies man with a new heart and a new mind to remedy his sinful way of thinking.
- Freud said “The only unnatural sexual behavior is none at all.” His work Three Contributions to the Theory of Sex reflects his way of thinking by discussing and minimizing the severity of every sexual behavior from fornication to sodomy to pedophilia to bestiality.
- The Bible says any sex outside of marriage between two unrelated people of the opposite sex, is a defilement (Leviticus 18:6-23; Matthew 15:19-20).
- In his book Moses and Monotheism, Freud stated (without any proof whatsoever) that Moses was an Egyptian who created monotheism and passed it on to the Jews, who eventually murdered him in the wilderness.
- According to the Bible, Moses was a Hebrew of the tribe of Levi and he died on Mount Nebo of natural causes. The idea of monotheism preceded Moses and the Hebrews.
- Freud created the idea of an “Oedipus complex” stating that children from age three to six develop erotic attachments to the parent of the opposite gender while at the same time loathing the parent of the same gender. By developing this theory, he not only sexualizes children, but implies incestuous feelings are normal.
- The Bible teaches children to honor their fathers and mothers and many generations of Jews and Christians have obeyed this command without this Oedipus complex.
- Freud was a cokehead and promoted the idea that cocaine was less harmful than over-the-counter drugs.
- Sorcerers (those who distribute and use mind-altering drugs) will burn in the lake of fire, according to the Bible.
- Freud was a Darwinist, believing man evolved from lower life forms, and used some of Darwin’s theories for the basis of his own theories. (He criticized Christianity as a bunch of fairy tales, then ascribed to Darwin’s system of fairy tales.)
- The Bible says God created man from the dust of the earth and breathed into his nostrils to give him life. Then woman was created from the rib of the first man.
- Freud scoffed at the idea of man being sinful in his book Civilization and Its Discontents.
- All of us have sinned and come short of the glory of God, according to the word of God.
Sigmund Freud was a man who was deceived and his deceptions have spanned the globe and have given rise to other deceivers like Freud’s disciple Alfred Kinsey, the father of sexual perversion who I will cover at another time.
–posted by Harry A. Gaylord–