Wicca, or “White Witchcraft”, like any other religion has followers with varying views and practices. I will attempt to highlight a few of their teachings and compare them point by point to what the Bible says.
- Wicca has two main deities–the Goddess (the feminine) and the Horned God (the masculine).
- The Bible says “For there is one God …” (1 Timothy 2:5) and this one God is always referred to in the masculine.
- Wicca is pantheistic. In other words, they believe god is in everything (including inanimate objects) in the universe and in everyone. Therefore, everything in nature is divine.
- The Bible says man is the only created thing on earth that has a living soul given by God (Genesis 2:7). It also says man is sinful and wicked (Jeremiah 17:9; Romans 3:23) and he is not divine, but needs salvation from sin. Because of man’s sin, all of creation is under the “bondage of corruption” (see Romans 8:21-22). In addition, the belief that man is divine by nature is the same lie that was told to Eve in the Garden of Eden by Satan–“ye shall be as gods.”
- Wiccans believe since people are divine, they do not need a saviour.
- God’s word says man needs a savior and the only savior is Jesus Christ (1 Timothy 2:5).
- Satan does not exist, according to Wiccans. They think he is a lie conjured up by Judeo-Christianity.
- God’s word states in 1 Peter 5:8 that the devil roams throughout the earth like a lion seeking whom he may devour with his evil. Lower level Wiccans are taught the devil does not exist, but higher level Wiccans are aware of his existence and know that witchcraft, whether “white” or “black” witchcraft, is the worship of Satan.
- Wiccans practice “white magick”, claiming to use the neutral power of the universe to heal, tell the future, and counteract evil. Many times their predictions of the future are incorrect.
- The Bible says that the only true power to heal, predict the future (with 100% accuracy), and counteract evil comes from Jesus Christ. “And Jesus came and spake unto them [his disciples], saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.” (Matthew 28:18). “For this purpose the Son of God [Jesus Christ] was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.” (1 John 3:8). “And Jesus went about all Galilee … healing all manner of sickness and all manner of disease among the people.” (Matthew 4:23). Since Jesus fulfilled hundreds of prophecies with 100% accuracy, I will mention those in another post.
- Wiccans believe in contacting “spirit guides” for personal growth, success, and empowerment.
- God says it is an abomination to consult familiar spirits (Deuteronomy 18:10-12). Why? “Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.” (2 Corinthians 11:14). He and his devils do this to draw people away from the only true and living God so he can destroy their souls. Familiar spirits are created beings and it is a sin to worship or serve creatures more than our Creator, who is blessed forever (Romans 1:25).
Wiccans, like any other idolaters, are terribly misguided, but Jesus Christ loved them enough to die for their sins and can save them, just like he can save anyone else who confesses him as the resurrected Lord. Let’s pray that even in the midst of the promotion of this evil in the media that as many as possible will turn from their dead works and turn to Christ.
–posted by Harry A. Gaylord–
Schnoebelen, William and Sharon. Lucifer Dethroned: a True Story. Ontario, CA: Chick Publications, 1993.