Although the Mormons (better known as the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints) use Christ’s name in their title, they are not Christian. This false religion was started by Joseph Smith on April 6, 1830. They get their shortened name “Mormons” from a false 5th century prophet named Mormon. Here is a short comparison of their beliefs with what the Bible says:
- Mormons believe that in order to realize doctrinal truth, one has to consult four books–the KJV Bible, the Book of Mormon, the “Doctrine and Covenants”, and the “Pearl of Great Price.” In other words, the other books are added revelations to what the Bible says.
- The Bible says “Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you,” (Deuteronomy 4:2) and “Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him. Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar,” (Proverbs 30:5-6) and “For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.” (Revelation 22:18-19).
- Mormons think God the Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost are three individual beings and are not the same person. (This is blasphemy!)
- The Bible says “For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.” (1 John 5:7)
- Mormons teach that men and women are God’s literal children that lived as spirits with God before creation.
- God’s word says man did not exist until the sixth day of creation.
- Mormons believe that man must not only believe the gospel but be admitted to one of their 16 major temples to fulfill required ordinances to obtain salvation.
- God’s word says we are saved by grace through faith in Christ, not by works. Our works are the result of our salvation (Ephesians 2:8-9).
- Mormons believe men eventually become gods after life on earth. (This is close to what Satan told Eve in the garden of Eden)
- Jehovah (Yahweh) says, “Is there a God beside me? yea, there is no God; I know not any.”(Isaiah 44:8)
- Mormons teach that righteous married couples stay married for eternity.
- God’s word teaches that married couples are bound by marriage only as long as the spouses are alive (Romans 7:2-3) and in the resurrection no one is married or given in marriage (Luke 20:34-35).
It is ironic that Mormons stress doing the will of the Father in heaven, then turn around and teach the opposite of what the word of God says. Want to know more about their false doctrines? Click here.